All you need to know about the asbestos management plans
The asbestos management plan is a legal requirement for all workplaces to do everything in their power and ability to contain asbestos in their spaces. it is actually a written plan which details how one should go about managing asbestos risks that have been identified by a survey.
The asbestos management plan details what needs to be done to control the spread of asbestos along with the different methods that need to be adopted to manage the traces of asbestos-containing materials in a particular property and The asbestos management plan sets out very clear lines of responsibility for the purpose of managing asbestos in a particular property.
When you take all the different factors into consideration and look at the bigger picture then you will realize that it is an absolute no-brainer for all property owners and managers to have a comprehensive asbestos management plan for controlling or managing the asbestos on their property.
What is the need for asbestos management plans?
There are a lot of benefits of an asbestos management plan. Through the asbestos management plan, one can make sure that:-
- any and all materials believed to contain asbestos are always kept in a very good state of repair.
- if any of the materials containing asbestos are damaged or if the location of the materials presents a risk then it is imperative to repair the materials and remove them, as and when it is appropriate to do so.
- The asbestos management plan also documents very clear lines of communication so that everyone involved is made aware of their roles and responsibilities in the management of asbestos
- the asbestos management plan provides information relating to the location and the condition of the material to anyone who might potentially be at risk from exposure to asbestos
- It lists all the different processes for controlling and managing any building or maintenance works that might disturb asbestos-containing materials in such properties. This is inclusive of making sure that everyone is trained appropriately for managing asbestos on the property
What exactly will an asbestos management plan contain?
An asbestos management plan will contain the following information, which makes the asbestos management plan, so important in the first place.
- Asbestos register
- Priority assessments
- Prioritized actions
- Management option decisions
- Timescales for management options
- Monitoring arrangements
- Training arrangements for contractors as well as employees
- Plans for implementing news procedures
- Details of who exactly will oversee the management plans
- Communicating information relating to the location and the condition of the asbestos-containing materials to people who might need such information
Why is it important to regularly review the asbestos management plan?
It is very important to review the asbestos management plan on a regular basis and to monitor the effectiveness of all the set procedures and processes as have been mentioned in the plan. The asbestos management plan measures progress against all sorts of timescales.
Thus it is very important to regularly review the asbestos management plan so that the effectiveness of the plan can be measured in the terms of preventing exposure, raising awareness, managing and controlling contractors and maintenance workers along with highlighting all the different management actions that might need to be undertaken to deal with all sorts of asbestos-containing materials or ACMs.
Further, one must also access the different situations and procedures that have not been fully implemented or implemented correctly or in situations where there has been exposed to asbestos fibers. It is recommended to review the asbestos management plan, once every 6 months and Further, it is also considered very important to review the plan if any changes have been made to the organizational structure, staffing, resources, company procedures,